North Hills sophomore advances to National Art Competition

Krista Ledergerber, Staff Writer

North Hills is known to have many creative, imaginative students throughout the community. Fourteen North Hills students have been honored for their artistic achievements in the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers competition. Even more so, one North Hills sophomore, Brandon Falcona, has won the Gold Key Award—the highest honor at this competition.

Brandon Falcona won this title for his digital art piece, entitled, “Something in the Fields.” Furthermore, his piece advanced to the 2014 National Scholastic Art and Writing Awards competition. “I’ve been working on this project for a long time in my Digital Art class. The class helped me a lot and inspired me to create this,” said Falcona. When asked to explain his infatuation with art, he responded, “It lets me express all my feelings.”

I also got a chance to speak to his art teacher, Miss Regina Moorby, who had nothing but great things to say about Falcona. She stated, “Brandon is an exceptional student and very creative. His skills in Photoshop are very outstanding. He is just an all-around great art student.”

Brandon’s work will move on to compete with some of the best art students across the United States. We expect nothing but big things from this extraordinary student.