North Hills Football Program Building Leaders

Lena Hines, Staff Writer

The North Hills football leadership group has been meeting every other Thursday with Coach Gary Zangaro and Coach Bill Lamb during the off season. The group started out with three players, and since then, it’s a group of 18 and growing. This has developed the football team to meet a vision of purpose, improve leadership skills, and bring out the greatness in each other. Player Logan Johnson says, “This is about how you can be a better leader on and off the field.” How can you show others how to become a leader? Coach Zangaro explains, “ I want the boys to be able to establish ideas as a group at the end of this.” 

Each meeting begins with a 30 minute open conversation, then shifts to a guided discussion about work ethic, vision, gratitude, values, change, hope, and progress. This helps the team believe in each other and develop character in one another.

Zangaro also assigns the group a book to read each year. He does this because he wants to figure out ways to drive the point home after meetings and transition their discussions into action. The coaches have created a book, as well, which includes all their discussion points to reflect upon later. Zangaro says he “wants to see each other down the road” and shared this so more can get the message. 

The inspiration for the group was formed because of an incident between two players in the past. Many of the members now understand what criteria is needed for recruitment and membership. Zangaro spoke about who his mentors in life were to reflect on this program: “My dad, especially because he was very value driven, people I’ve worked with over the years, and Larry Conley.” Head Coach Pat Carey understands the value of positive influence and says, “I am very fortunate to have Gary Zangaro, Bill Lamb, Brody and Matt Zangaro, and his wife Julie Zangaro. I’m also fortunate to have Gary run this, and it can take place even when I’m not there because of other team commitments during the season. I’m grateful for Jordan (Gary’s daughter), who sponsors scholarships for a student each year. I’m always informed of issues of what happens during the meetings and up to date.There’s so much importance that goes into this.” 

Through this program, this group of boys continues to work hard to create a cooperative team. They’re all improving every meeting and reflecting on the subject of leadership.

Here’s what some of the boys in the leadership group had to say about the experience:

Name: Nico Diodati, junior

How long have you been in the leadership group? Two years.

How were you accepted? I was referred by Bill Lamb.

Favorite thing to eat at the Zangaros? Chicken and potatoes.

What does this mean to you to be a part of the group? “It means a lot that I’m part of the group even though I can’t play anymore.”

Your favorite topic to discuss? Accountability.

What effect does the leadership group have on you after meetings? “A bigger impact than football. Makes me feel more prepared for life on a general basis.” 

Name: Wesley Taylor, sophomore 

How long have you been in the leadership group? Seven months.

How were you accepted? I was referred by Coach Zangaro. 

Favorite thing to eat at the Zangaros? Calzones.

What does this mean to you to be a part of the group? “It’s kinda cool that I’m considered a leader.”

Your favorite topic to discuss? Mental health.

What effect does the leadership group have on you after meetings? “It gives me insight on the topic that we talk about.” 

Name: Jacob Messina, junior

How long have you been in the leadership group? Two and a half years.

Favorite thing to eat at the Zangaros? Chicken parmesan.

What does this mean to you to be a part of the group? “Being a part of something bigger and helping younger players develop.”

Your favorite topic to discuss? Work ethic. 

What effect does the leadership group have on you after meetings? “It makes me feel better about myself and how to be a better person.” 

Name: Logan Johnson, junior 

How were you accepted? I was referred by Tanner Ilnicki and Alec Apodaca.

What does this mean to you to be a part of the group? “It shows me that I’m a leader on and off the field and inspires me to lead others.”

Your favorite topic to discuss? Mental toughness.

What effect does the leadership group have on you after meetings? “It makes me feel better about our team and gets me excited for the season and games.”