The GSA at North Hills

Sophia Waddingham, Journalism 1

I recently realized that not many students at North Hills know we have a GSA, and even fewer know what the club does. Most just think of it as just the “gay club,” when in reality it is more than that. To spread awareness of the club and answer the question of “What do they even do?,” I have asked some club officers to answer a few questions. 

Coriander Boyle (she/they), the club’s president, had said that the club wishes to make the queer community at North Hills more visible. She has said that, for her, the reason the club exists is because “we are here, we always have been here, and we never will not be here.” When asked how the club plans to educate student and staff alike, they said the club intends to initiate dialogue to make the topic less taboo and make the concept of queerness more of a commonplace concept among the student body and staff. Boyle specifically stated that they wanted to “get our fellow students to know we are more than just a word, we are more than just gay or trans, we are people.”  Upon being asked how the school could better help queer youth, she said they need to improve restrooms. She then cited that “bathrooms are places trans people most often feel victimized.” 

Sadie Halper (any pronouns), the club’s secretary, has said that, to her, the club’s mission is to give everyone a safe space for them to be themselves.  When asked why she is committed to the club, she said, “I really do just like giving people a place to belong and be.” In response to being asked how the school would better help the queer youth here, he said that we need to talk about queerness and the LGBTQ+ community more. If we make the topic less of an uncomfortable topic, LGBTQ+ students would be much more comfortable and safe. They also mentioned the school needs to educate teachers and staff more so they can be more supportive of students who are LGBTQ+. 

The club as a whole has always been about giving a safe space for people to be themselves. The people I have met through it are the nicest, kindest, most colorful people I’ve ever met. All of them just want to be themselves without fear and extend that to others. The school is truly lucky to have a club of people who just want the world to be a kinder, safer, better place. I think Coriander sums it up best when she said that her main motivator is the prospect that, due to her actions, others can have a better, easier time here at North Hills. 

*If you’re interested in joining the GSA Club, reach out to club sponsor Mrs. Kilroy ([email protected]) to be added to the club’s Google Classroom and for more information. The club meets every other Tuesday after school in room B129. Our next meeting will be Tuesday, January 24th. All students are welcome.