North Hills SADD Club is named Pennsylvania Chapter of the Year

Nicole Pampena, Editor-in-Chief

This weekend on November 3rd, the North Hills SADD Club (Students Against Destructive Decisions) was announced to be the Pennsylvania SADD Chapter of the Year at this year’s state conference.

The honor is awarded to the SADD Club that demonstrates a strong presence and awareness in its community, impacting activities completed over the past year, and a collective and apparent involvement throughout its student body.

Over the course of 2014-2015, the club has gone above and beyond these requirements. Events such as collaborating with local law enforcement to conduct the Mock Crash, visiting the elementary schools to discuss the presence of peer pressure, and excellence in fundraising through activities such as the Blacklight Dance and Spirit Week are only a few of the accomplishments that stuck out to Pennsylvania SADD/DUI Association.

PA SADD Coordinator Felicity Erni presented the award on stage to President Danny Porter and Vice President Megan Rode. Porter comments, “It is an amazing feeling to be chosen for this award over so many other schools with active organizations. Chapter of the Year is well deserved…and our presence in the school is a strong one.” In addition to such a passionate and dedicated group of officers, the club would not be at such a level of merit without sponsor Mrs. Medic, who has generously donated her time and commitment to SADD for years. Porter adds, “Mrs. Medic has guided the club for so many years and it has only continued to improve…we finally got the recognition that North Hills deserves.”

The state SADD conference is annually held at Seven Springs Resort, however is also in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This year brought in over six hundred students from over two hundred different schools. Its focus emphasizes the importance of preventing the spread and use of drugs and alcohol as well as draw attention to mental health awareness and traffic safety amongst young drivers.