Must-see Summer Movies

Connor Forsythe, Opinions Editor

The school year is coming to a close, and there are plenty of good movies to catch right now and during the summer. Below is a list of what I believe are the best movies to catch this summer.

Godzilla. The giant lizard-creature is back. Godzilla comes to America and the entire force of the U.S. military attempts to stop its rampage. Many are eager to see this version of the movie since it is brand new, and it has more advanced special effects than previous ones. It is definitely one I would advise to see this summer. It came out in theaters on May 16.

Million Dollar Arm. This movie is about the first baseball players from India. Sports agent JB Bernstein is desperate to find a new pitching ace so he can save his job. He travels to India, where he discovers two Indian boys who can throw a great fastball. He brings them to America and attempts to teach them the game of baseball. This is definitely a movie I would recommend for sports fans out there. It was released on May 16.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Following the successful Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes picks up where the first movie left off. Caesar, the super intelligent ape from the first one, presides over the fall of human civilization. However, a group of humans that is still alive bands together and tries to fight for the civilization they lost. Caesar and the rest of the apes try to stop this uprising and cement themselves as Earth’s dominant species. This appears to be a great thriller. It comes out on July 11.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The new installment in the Spider-Man series follows Peter Parker as he tries to balance life as a superhero and life as a high school student. However, two new villains, Electro and Rhino, rise up and pose a serious problem. Spider-Man, once again, jumps in and tries to stop these villains from destroying the city. This movie looks awesome, and it is one I would certainly recommend seeing. It came out on May 2.

22 Jump Street. I’ve been anticipating this one for a while. This, of course, is the sequel to the successful comedy film 21 Jump Street. The first film was about Officers Jenko and Schmidt as they went undercover as high school students to make a drug bust. 22 Jump Street features the same officers as they go undercover as college students. If this movie is as funny as the first one, then it will be a major success. I can’t wait to see it in the theaters. It comes out on June 13.