North Hills High School Hands for Service and Student Council host Monster Dash 5K and Spooky Stroll

Vanessa Martocci, Staff Writer

This past Saturday, October 27th, the North Hills High School Student Council and Hands for Service Club hosted the third annual Monster Dash 5K and Spooky Stroll charity event at the North Park Boathouse in honor of Jake Wudarczyk. All of the proceeds were given to Make-A-Wish and Children’s Hospital because Jake had brain cancer and passed in 2016. The top three runners at the event were, Kerry Wolf, Aaron Kosmach, and Daniel Suchin. They were each awarded with a medal.

We picked Make-A-Wish and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation because of all the great work they do and because we have students who have benefited from these organizations,” Jen DiPasquale, the Student Council sponsor said.

Amy Patsilevas, the sponsor of the Hands for Service Club, said that Mrs. DiPasquale is, “the brains behind the Monster Dash and truly makes it a success!”

There are other events and things that go on in the school that the clubs are in charge of. Club members, Ashley Ussak and Alex Kruse named a few including, THON, a pancake breakfast for the American Heart Association, a volleyball tournament, the kindness initiative, and spirit week. This year, they said THON is going to be a little different. There is going to be the usual dance marathon for the high school and in addition there will be a dance for the middle schoolers and the North Hills community. Alex Kruse stated,”I am really looking forward to THON this year. Last year’s was a lot of fun.”

The pancake breakfast was held last week and was a success. The volleyball tournament will be held sometime in the beginning of January and they are expecting a big turnout. The kindness initiative is something that has been in place almost all year at the school. Its goal is to make North Hills High School a more welcoming environment for everyone. Spirit week was the week of October 7th, the week of homecoming. There was a different theme for each day that most students participated in.

“I think a lot of what do is successful,” Ashley Ussak said.