Cheats for your Netflix Addiction

Jake Heinauer, Editor-in-Chief

If you don’t have Netflix yet, you either live under a rock or you’re the Copy Editor or the (Co) Editor-In-Chief of The Arrowhead. For those of you who allow yourselves to be caught up in the glamorous world of binge-watching, here are highly-coveted top 5 must-sees on everyone’s favorite instant streaming site.

1. Mad Men- The show that began AMC’s drama dominance is an absolute must-see for every Netflix binge-watcher. The show follows the lives of Don Draper and his family as well as the advertising agency Sterling Cooper, as the nuclear family and male-dominated workplace disappears while the 1960s wears on. Mad Men exposes a somewhat cynical view of a highly romanticized era in American History. The reason this show tops the list is evident– it is enthralling. The reason this show beats out House of Cards is simply the longevity of the series. With seven seasons, Mad Men will replace your typical Friday night crowd with Jon Hamm, January Jones, and Christina Hendricks. P.S. If you want to catch the final season of Mad Men when it premieres this spring, you’d better hurry– every episode lasts around forty-five minutes.
  2. House of Cards- I won’t lie, House of Cards not topping this chart is somewhat of a crime. However, given that there are only two seasons, the Netflix original will have to settle for runner-up. House of Cards follows South Carolina Congressman Frank Underwood’s maniacal grab for power in Washington D.C.  House of Cards’ manipulation of the press and politics leaves one dreaming about what really goes on behind the closed doors of Congress. The entire cast of this show is stellar and has brought upon countless Golden Globe and Emmy nominations.Not to worry, Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright will return to computer screens everywhere on February 27. Until then, “hunt or be hunted.”
  3. Freaks and Geeks- Where to begin with this series? I have no idea. Warning: this show gave my life meaning for the two weeks we students enjoyed Christmas break; however, with only one season, after eighteen episodes I was suddenly and utterly empty. The simple fact that the show boasts a star-studded cast alone makes me wonder how this series was cancelled after only one season. The series was a jumping point for Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jason Segel. Taking place in Chippewa, Michigan at McKinley High School in 1980, the show explores high school life from the eyes of both freaks and geeks. However, Freaks and Geeks lacks the cheesy after-school special many other high school dramas possess. Perhaps this show could be number one on this list if it had only spent more time on primetime.
  4. The Wonder Years- This show takes a very optimistic view of growing up in American Suburbia in the 1960s. The show follows Kevin Arnold as he grows up facing the Vietnam War and the other difficulties of growing up, all while enjoying an on again, off again relationship with Winnie Cooper. This power couple is perhaps even more iconic than Cory and Topanga from Boy Meets World  (incidentally, Fred Savage (Kevin Arnold) is Ben Savage’s brother (Cory Matthews)). The music features many gems from the era; Joe Cocker’s “With a Little Help from My Friends” is even the series’ theme song.
  5. The Office (U.S.)- This series boasts nine seasons and will keep you laughing every episode along the way. I decided to keep it light for the fifth and final coveted spot on my list and with an instant classic most of you have probably even seen. Why then, you might ask, would I include this on my highly important list? There is but one answer: The Office never received the credit it truly deserved. Between all the awards lost and being snubbed in favor of 30 Rock (which has the most predictable and unfunny punch lines I have ever witnessed), The Office simply deserves this nod for the immaculate comedic genius led by Steve Carrel, John Krazinski, Jenna Fischer, and Rainn Wilson. Yes, The Office was originally British, but like most things, Americans simply do it better– the same is true for House of Cards. Finally, yes, I love Modern Family (not on Netflix), but The Office began the mockumentary movement, and for that it will always have an edge over any wannabe followers.