Indians just footsteps away from victory

Ava Pietryzc leads the way for the Indians at the 2014 Slippery Rock Invitational

Jake Heinauer, Editor-In-Chief

On Saturday, September 27, the boys’ and girls’ Cross Country Teams will travel to Uniontown for the A.J. Everhart invitational. Both teams have potential to take home gold, largely because of their recent success at other invitationals.

In early September, at the 12th annual Red, White, and Blue Classic in Schenley Park, the girls ran to a disappointing 10th place finish; however, the team has made large improvements throughout the season. At the Red, White, and Blue Classic, the girls placed just points behind Kiski Area and Franklin Regional, with Laurel Highlands not too far behind. All three teams will also be at the A.J. Everhart Invitational, and given the Indians recent success, gold could possibly be in North Hills’ future.

Sabrina Palmieri, a senior, has been setting new season best times consistently, whether at invites such as the Slippery Rock Invitational or in regular season meets. Her progress could mean big things for the Lady Indians on Saturday, despite Junior Sarah Glatz’s recent quad problems. Although Glatz won’t be running on Saturday, the team might stand a chance to win without her. Also, look for Sophomore Ava Pietryzc to do big things. She is currently North Hills’ best girl and could duke it out for a first place overall finish. Sophomores Maddie Evans and Carly Siebert will also be in the hunt to place for the Indians, as they have been going back and forth all season for the second spot on the team.

Following a third place finish at the Red, White, and Blue Classic (behind North Allegheny and Mount Lebanon in the AAA division) and a second place finish at the Slippery Rock Invitational, the North Hills’ boys look to impress at A.J. Everhart. Strong finishes from Senior Michael Burchlaw and Freshman Tom Brown could certainly translate to team gold at this smaller invite.