Best North Hills Sports Moments of 2013-2014 School Year

Drew Brown, Sports Editor

North Hills vs. Pine Richland, Boys’ Varsity Basketball

After a nice comeback by the Indians, senior guard Dylan Mitchell took over overtime and won the game for the Indians, scoring 21 points. His impressive run during overtime marked one of the best wins of the season for the basketball team and was even more memorable, considering it came just a few days after the death of his close friend, Eddie Buggs.

Brian Lovasik and Noah Bostick

Junior Brian Lovasik got it done in the WPIAL boys’ swimming championship, winning the gold medal in 100-meter and 200-meter freestyle. Also, Senior Noah Bostick finished third in the state in boys’ diving.

Jon Avon

After finishing in second place in the WPIAL wrestling tournament, senior Jonathan Avon shocked the PIAA wrestling world, making it to the state finals and finishing third place.

Moses Parts the Red Sea

The week two matchup against Central Catholic marked the birth of the best student section in the WPIAL. Senior David Haddad’s portrayal of Moses was good enough to get the student section on WTAE, the Post-Gazette, and just about every other local high school football media outlet.

Elliott King Wins Player of the Week

For the second year in a row, senior Elliott King took care of business against the Pine-Richland Rams. With the Rams attempting to tie the game up in the final minutes, King recorded consecutive sacks on the Pine-Richland’s average quarterback, Ben DiNucci. King’s performance won him the WPXI Player of the Week.

Mary Malone’s Accomplishments

The list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning a Malone family accomplishment, and senior Mary Malone got it done again by finishing second in girls’ cross country. Also, Malone earned a medal for finishing fourth in 3000-meter indoor state championships. She just recently won the WPIAL 3200m championship, as well. On top of that, Malone signed a Division-1 contract with Syracuse, where she will continue her athletic career.

Tennis Team Makes Playoffs

For the first time since 2007, the boy’s tennis team made it to the postseason and won their first round matchup against Latrobe. Thanks to great seasons by Pablo Raúl Morcate, Dan Schmidt, Helena Varys, and bad-dude Mike Chutko, the tennis team had some great moments throughout the 2014 season.

Chad Meyer Named All-Section

After single-handedly carrying the varsity baseball team to their first playoff appearance since 2007, senior Chad Meyer was selected to play in the Quad A All-Star game and named First Team All-Section.