Meet Mr. Miller

Hannah Petrell and Haley LeJeune

This past September, Mr. Miller was welcomed onto the North Hills teaching staff as a long-term sub for Mrs. Sturges. Not an amateur by any means, he has brought his teaching expertise to the Female Perspectives senior English elective and 10th grade English course. Read on to learn more about our main man, Mr. Miller.

Q: In the beginning, you were told you were going to only be here until close to the end of the first semester. Are you happy you have been able to stay the entire year?

A: I was very excited to be able to stay for the entire school year. I’ve grown fond of my classes and enjoy working with our English staff.

Q: Where did you attend college?

A: Gannon University in Erie, PA.

Q: What made you want to become a teacher?

A: I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. When I was in fifth grade, my teacher used to let me go to the kindergarten class and help teach. Plus, I’ve always enjoyed the relationships teachers create with their students and having an impact on someone’s life.

Q: Where did you teach before you came to North Hills?

A: I taught English at Canon McMillan from 1999-2012. I was offered a job in Naples, Florida in the spring of 2012, so I took the chance to live in “paradise,” but we just missed our family too much and decided to return home.

Q: What is it like teaching Female Perspectives from a male perspective?

A: The thought of it, at first, was daunting. After a couple weeks, I really enjoyed the opportunity. I loved the class and I think they appreciated my perspective. The students completely made it easy for me for me to dive into it. Being the youngest of five, having two sisters and two daughters, and having a close relationship with my mom has helped, too.

Q: Has teaching a class like this taught you anything new about women?

A: Teaching this particular class taught me that behind those smiling faces there are many worries, anxieties, and fears that are hidden from the world. Sometimes it’s just good to listen closely and be understanding.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about being a football coach?

A: Everything! Mostly the relationships I have with the coaches and players. Coaches Carey, Cassandro, and Hand are such special people that truly care about the boys as young men more than what they do on the field. They also have a tremendous amount of respect for North Hills and what we stand for. It’s such a pleasure working with them each day. The opportunity to create an everlasting bond with the players is something that I love. I love seeing the boys grow into young men and find success in all parts of their lives. It is so special to be a part of their growth and success.

Q: Do you have a lot of important women in your life?

A: I’ve been very fortunate to have some strong, wonderful women in my life. My aunt lost her husband 20 plus years ago to lung cancer, but she continues to be a strong individual, carrying out her dreams. My sister-in-law, Jill, is a cancer and kidney transplant survivor who recently became a doctor. My momma is, of course, and so are the three most important women in my life: my daughters Elly and Lilly, and my wife, Michelle.

Q: What is the most rewarding thing about being a teacher?

A: Two things! When I see a child have success as a result of something from my class, whether it be grades or from their personal life. And also when kids call, email, or visit me to tell me how they are and how much they appreciate some part of my class.

Q: Who influenced you the most so far in your life?

A: My mom and oldest brother, Erik. My mom is such a strong, loving woman. She has handled adversity in her life gracefully and head on. She has shown me the importance of hard work, love, and family. My mom is my hero, 100%. I love her to pieces! Erik has been and continues to be that perfect older brother who gives great advice and is someone I can always count on.

Q: If you weren’t teaching, what would you be doing?

A: Coaching college football.

Mr. Miller 2As you can see, Mr. Miller has been an awesome addition to the English department. Being students of his first semester, we were his first Female Perspectives class. He did an amazing job explaining and making sure we understood every novel, poem, or short story we had to read.  We’re definitely going to miss him next year!