Indians see success in rebuilding year

Drew Brown, Sports Editor

Throughout the first eight weeks of the season, the North Hills Indians have given fans plenty of different things to cheer about. In coach Pat Carey’s first season as the Indians head coach, Carey has had to overcome some tough injuries to his team.

After the loss of starting quarterback Jake Bruder due to a leg injury, junior Kindhal Taylor has stepped up in his role and done a fine job at the quarterback position. Backs Brandon Wagner, Kevin Koch, and Montae Frank have contributed to a solid rushing attack. Sophomore Shawndale Jones has stepped up as a wide receiver and has had some big catches since being put in that role.

After a week one victory over the Penn Trafford Warriors, the Indians suffered a tough loss to Central Catholic. They won their next two games in blowout style, beating Shaler 34-6, and shutting out Butler 49-0. The Indians lost their week five matchup in a barnburner against Penn Hills and played an exciting game against Fox Chapel the following week. Trailing by ten points with less than four minutes to go, North Hills picked up two big touchdowns to propel themselves to a 21-17 victory. The team traveled to Seneca Valley week seven and had a close, hard fought loss against the Raiders of Seneca Valley as they fell in double overtime. Last Friday’s match-up against Pine Richland yielded the North Hills’ best defensive effort in years, a huge 7-0 victory in which the Indians held the #1 offense in the state to a mere 200 yards of total offense.

Following Friday night’s showdown against North Allegheny, the Indians will be making the playoffs for the 14th time in the past 15 seasons. The Indians have the tools to make a run in the playoffs, and behind the leadership of coach Carey, expect big things out of the Indians these upcoming weeks.