Student Section Takes it to a Whole New Level

Drew Brown, Sports Editor

Throughout the past few years at North Hills, the team has lacked in the department of school spirit. This year is completely different, though, and the new and improved North Hills Student Section has done anything and everything to get students involved, while displaying a tremendous showing of school spirit.

In recent years, the student section was nothing great. Students would go to games to watch their football team play. Some would stand in the student section; some would sit with their friends and watch the game. This year, though, the student section has been taken to a whole new level and has been discussed as the best in Western Pennsylvania.

Before the football team’s week two matchup against Central Catholic, senior David Haddad came up with the great idea to have Moses Part the Red Sea before kickoff. The theme idea was executed perfectly, and while the outcome of the game itself may not have been anything to remember, the student section made it a night we will never forget.

“Parting the Red Sea with 300 students was probably the coolest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” said Haddad.

Within the next few days, the video of Moses Parting the Red Sea spread like wildfire on YouTube. It was discussed in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 96.1 Kiss, 105.9 The X, and Mark Madden’s blog, in addition to being featured on WTAE-TV news. WTAE traveled to the home of Haddad’s and interviewed him about the unique idea he came up with.

After a few away games, the Indians returned home to Martorelli Stadium homecoming weekend against Penn Hills, and the student section had

an even better idea planned. The idea, known as “Operation Domino,” was to have the 300+ kids in the student section create a human domino while wearing domino shirts made by North Hills students. Senior Jess Porter thought of the idea, and before the game, was announced the 2013 Homecoming Queen. The idea was executed to perfection, and Porter tipped the domino herself during halftime while celebrating her announcement of being homecoming queen. The video of “Operation Domino” went wild on the Internet and collected over 10,000 views in a little over a week.

“Having the experience to tip the domino was awesome,” said Porter. “All the students made it look great, and I was honored by having the opportunity to do it.”

With just the big rivalry game against NA remaining before the playoffs, we need a huge showing to end the the season with a bang. Roll Tribe.