Semi-formal held February 21

Jess Porter, Copy Editor

The annual semi formal dance for the freshman and sophomore class was held Friday, February 21 at the Four Points Sheraton North.

This year was the second year of the new and improved semi formal. Tickets, which were sold a week before the dance, cost $25 per student and $50 for those lucky guys with dates. The cost covered a DJ and a buffet.

Sophomore Trudy Clark complained, “The DJ wasn’t so great; he kept playing music that was in between slow and fast. It was just really hard to dance along with.” A handful of other students agreed with her about the music selection for the night.

Another sophomore, student Kendall Johnson, said, “The best part was food, dancing, and boys!” while her fellow classmate, Steve Brown, admitted, “I just hoped ‘Come on Eileen’ by Dexy’s Midnight Runners would have played at some point in the night.”

In the past, each grade level had a separate dance: ninth grade students had a semi-formal, tenth grade students had their sophomore dinner dance, juniors went to junior prom, and seniors experienced senior prom. Two years ago, class sponsors decided to change things up and combine two grade levels for semi. In 2012, they combined sophomores and juniors, but that created some confusion with the dress code. Juniors came in long dresses, while sophomores came in short dresses. Therefore, in 2013 they combined the ninth and tenth grade students, which happened to be a great success, and, hopefully, this tradition at North Hills will continue.

Overall, North Hills High School’s sophomore and freshman students had a great night and are so excited to get back on the dance floor for the throwback dance on March 14.

Please tweet your semi-formal pictures to @NHArrowhead for a chance to be on our next issue’s front cover!