37 Days of Senior Advice

37 Days of Senior Advice

Rebekah Froehlich, Website Editor

The end of the year is fast approaching, and for many here at North Hills these are the final days. There will be no more high school for the class of 2017. They will go out into the world, ready to make their mark. While many may feel ready, some may be nervous, and others may have no idea what they’re getting into at all. Luckily, there are many loving and experienced teachers here at North Hills that are willing to share little bits of wisdom they have learned over the years. So stay tuned every day left of school for 37 Days of Senior Advice.

37.) “It’s a rough world out there. So make sure you look out for number one, and don’t step in number two.” – Mr. Curran

36.) “Make good decisions.” – Mrs. Lucas

35.) “Don’t chase money, chase happiness.” – Mr. DeWeese

34.) “Be true to yourself, be your own best friend, and remember that the things the old folks say are actually true.” – Mrs. Rossi

33.) “Don’t follow anyone else’s pattern, cut your own path in life. If it leads to happiness, you are a success.” – Mr. Lisak

32.) “Just because you are changing schools doesn’t mean you have to change who you are. Also, make sure you wear sandals in the dorm bathroom!” – Mr. Kane

31.) “Attend every class you’ve scheduled, do not fall in love, find an activity to participate in to relieve stress, and remember that procrastination is the natural assassin of opportunity.” – Mr. Heil

30.) “Hard work and perseverance will lead to opportunities. The world is waiting. Go and get it.” – Mr. Boulos

29.) “There are people who make excuses and there are people who make progress… Which one will you be?  Things will not always turn out how you expect and things that are worth it are never easy.  Work hard, do not make excuses, figure out a way to overcome obstacles and make your own happiness.  The world needs your talents, your gifts, your kindness and your involvement.  I hope that someday you will look back and say: ‘I made a positive impact on this world.  I was determined to do it!'” – Ms. Moorby

28.) “When things are tough it is so important to believe that you will succeed if you work hard and work smart. Some people wonder, what if I fail? You must wonder, What if I don’t?  Go be who you want to be!” – Mr. Sentner

27.) “Never lose sight of who you are and where you came from. The world’s full of good people, find them, learn from them and be one of them. Remember that one person can make a difference, and if you want something bad enough, it’s never out of reach. Finally, figure out what mark you want to leave on this world and paint a masterpiece. Best of luck.” – Mr. Pedrosky

26.) “Purse your goals with all that you have. Your plans may change along the way as you venture into the world, but by pursuing these goals you will create opportunities that you could have never imagined in this time. We are excited for all that you will do, and look forward to your visits home to North Hills!” – Mr. Lavelle

25.) “What is most important to you now might not be most important to you 10 or 20 years from now. Make the upcoming crucial decisions with a long-term view and your core values in mind.” – Mr. Rodack

24.) “First, a positive attitude and a great effort will take you a long way.  Second, don’t forget to open your IRA as soon as possible.” – Mr. Palano

23.) “Live your life with passion, both personally and professionally, and be the change you seek in your immediate world.  Too many people go through life without investing in anything and they pretend to be spectators to their own lives.” – Herr Deible

22.) “Be proud and excited over your big accomplishment! You are finally done with high school, but don’t forget you still have a while to go. You have a whole new world in front of you, be open to new experiences, make new friends, set goals for yourself and be smart! Have fun and enjoy your next few years transitioning into the person who you will become. You’re off to great places! Congratulations class of 2017!” – Mrs. Hoffman

21.) “Be the kind of friend that you want to have. Be nice – you never know when what you say or do will make someone’s day. Surround yourself with the people who add positivity to your life. Treat your friends to an iced tea every so often just because.” – Madame Marangoni

20.) “Mistakes are learning opportunities. Learn from your mistakes so that you don’t repeat them–in math… and in life!” – Mrs. Everhart

19.) “Work hard. Make good decisions. Your reputation for a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of one hour.” – Mr. Ebert

18.) “People often tell graduates to pursue their passion. I tell graduates, paying your bills allows you to pursue your passion.” – Mr. Hand

17.) “Congratulations on your graduation! It is an exciting time and transition in your life. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way and stay true to who you are and what you believe in.” Mr. Ballentine

16.) “Be the best you can be at whatever you chose to do and always remember, nothing good happens after midnight.” – Mr. DerVanik

15.) “Be the hero of your own story. You don’t want to look back on your life and find that it was YOU that created the obstacles that made reaching your goals more challenging.” – Dr. Barkovich

14.) “The time after high school is a time for self-discovery. You learn a lot about yourself and what makes you happy. Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone, try something different, and explore new opportunities.” – Ms. Brown

13.) “My advice to seniors would be to respect other people’s opinions, even if you don’t agree, at least listen and agree to disagree.  Also, I would suggest to be nice to everyone – you never know if and when that person can return the favor. Finally, if something is important enough for you to be on time for, then it might be better to be 10 minutes early.” – Mr. Ribar

12.) “Work hard – it will pay off in the long run.  Have fun and make good choices – please be safe.  I will miss you.” – Mrs. Burnett

11.) “Every day is a leap into the unknown so jump high and long.  Do not be afraid to fail, to stand up for yourself, and to do what is right.” – Mrs. Miller

10.) “Help others.  If you cannot help others, at the very least, do no harm.” – Mr. California

9.) “To quote a B52s song, ‘Follow your Bliss’.” – Frau Stein

8.) “Take risks, and don’t be afraid to fail.  And have fun along the way.” – Mr. Cloonan

7.) “Know your worth, trust your instincts, call your mom, and remember – the college cafeteria doesn’t have to be an all-you-can-eat buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner!” – Ms. Patsilevas

6.) “Find a piece of joy in all you do.  And remember, in life you will make plenty of mistakes.  Learn from your mistakes, but do not allow yourself to be defined by them.” – Mrs. Ortiz

5.) “NEVER skip class. NEVER skip readings. Learn to dance. Don’t fall in love. All will be well.” – Mr. Franks

4.) “My advice for the graduating seniors is to not give up.  The next few years are by far the most important years of your life, and when things get tough and you want to quit, don’t.” – Mr. Cassandro

3.) “Create a sense of balance and equanimity; live veraciously; love unconditionally; laugh often.” – Mrs. Washington

2.) “Enjoy your major, but challenge yourself with classes outside your major.” – Mr. Kane

1.) “Success and failure are on the same road. Success is just a little further down.” – Mr. Curran for Mrs. Long (who has yet to finish her morning coffee)