Boys Lacrosse Preview

Image Courtesy of Golden Tornado Sports

Image Courtesy of Golden Tornado Sports

Tyler Ray, Sports Editor

Since Pat Weber stepped down from his position as the head coach of the boys lacrosse team, a new era begins, as Don Longo has taken control and is pointing the team in the right direction. Coach Longo has a variety of experience in this sport and in the North Hills program, as he was a defensemen for the Indians back in 2009. After high school, Longo attended Slippery Rock, where he continued his lacrosse career playing for the Rock’s club lacrosse team. Another addition to the boy’s lacrosse team is assistant varsity coach and Junior Varsity coach Randy Potter. Coach Potter also brings experience to the squad by playing high school lacrosse at North Allegheny. With these two new coaches, the Indians lacrosse team is ready to have a fresh start and turn the North Hills lacrosse program around.

Although the Indians will miss their top attack man Mike Cosentino, the team is ready to step up and play as more of a team. When asked what his expectations are for this year, Coach Longo said, “I will accept nothing but playoffs, and this is the year we turn this program around.”

This year the Indians have seniors who will take this team to the next level. These seniors have been together since 8th grade and contain a lot of chemistry. This senior class is lead by midfielders and defensemen. The defensemen include Travis Bauer, Billy Hollinger, and defensive-mid Sam Greer, along with midfielders Zak Kist, Zack Vestal, and Mike Byrne. With this class of seniors, the Indians are ready to succeed in the regular season and make a run to the playoffs.